Tuesday 18 January 2011

Top Tip Tuesday Number 3...


If you're planning on matting and layering on to a really special piece of designer paper or glitter card sometimes it's a good idea to use the middle section before you actually mat on to the piece.  In the photo you can see that I've cut out the frame and the snowflakes I needed for my card before adding the white section.  Once the white layer goes on top nobody knows there are holes underneath and it's makes the card lighter to post too.  Doing this means that my other sheet of glitter card is untouched and ready to use another day.

Once you know the size of mat you need it's possible to use a craft knife to cut a section out of the middle and then that can be used for something else.

I usually draw my frame on the reverse of my paper/card before cutting out and I do tend to make the frame quite a large one.

As you can see once cut out you have a great frame to mat the patterned paper on to and also a piece suitable for matting an image on to or using in a die cut machine.


Here's the patterned paper in place ready to be attached. 



Perhaps you already do this when crafting, but if not it's worth knowing especially at those times when you have only one sheet of a colour you really want to use and need to make it go as far as possible.
Thanks for visiting and reading this week's Top Tip Tuesday.  Hope everyone is enjoying using those stencils.  The Stencil challenge is here and there is still lots of time to enter your cards.
Ann, Irene and Max xxx

13 comments:

  1. Fabulous tip Ann and a great way to get the most out of your favourite or most expensive papers.

    Luv'n'Stuff
    Max
    xx
    Max's Craft Creations
    Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab tip - thanks for sharing

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh girls there is no way I would bother doing this - not enough time in the day lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good tip - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a Fab tip Ann, TFS. Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip - especially with the cost of posting cards nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit to using this technique when I have a special paper that I want to get the most use out of. Hubby says I'm tight, I say thrifty. Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tip Ann, will have to remember it,
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  9. great tip and I bet it works especially well with heavily embossed paper, especially if you don't want the bottom layer "bumpy"--thanks for sharing; you ladies are teaching me a lot ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. themessycraftroom19 January 2011 at 23:34

    Hi ladies thanks for a great tip, it will keep the weight down on a card for posting too. Have e mailed you, don't know if you've received it. Hugs x ChrisB

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always think about doing this, but I'm always too lazy or in too big a hurry. with the post going up, though... Thanks for the tip! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never thought of doing this but it's a great tip. Thank you so much!!! "Hugs" Carol

    ReplyDelete